Re: Motor Speed Control (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:35:47 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Motor Speed Control (fwd)

Chris, guys.
     Yes a dimmer will regulate a motors speed, no, do not use it for an
ASRG.  Ok, you may well get away with one on a NST coil (I did, until my
tungsten rod exploded due to shoddy construction), but as your power level
increases, so will the problems with a dimmer.  They get interference from
the tank circuit, and are a pain to filter and shield.  On my MOT coil, the
motor would stop spinning when the power was turned on, some have reported
the opposite, having the motor only run full blast when turned on, and I'm
sure they will put in their two cents.  Use a variac, there is a 10 Amp unit
for $10 on there right now, but by the time you read this it will probably
be gone (17 hours left), you could try building one if you were really
patient, but it is probably not worth the effort (mine melted occasionally,
but it did work).  You could also use a seriously chunky potentiometer, or a
resister switch array.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Scott Bogard.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Motor Speed Control (fwd)
>Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:48:05 -0600 (MDT)

Gear up for HaloŽ 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1