Re: Oil insulated secondaries (fwd) (Are they worth it?) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:53:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oil insulated secondaries (fwd) (Are they worth it?)

Epoxy coating is not about electrically insulating,
it's about physically protecting and preventing the
windings from sliding off.  That's it, really.  Oil
does neither of these things, and is instead all about
electrical insulation.  HOWEVER, whether it's any
advantage at all depends on what other aspects of your
design you hold constant, and given that most of these
other aspects are usually controllable in such a way
as to avoid the necessity of oil insulation, I'd have
to agree that oil insulated secondaries are moderately
to extremely silly in most cases.  They are
undoubtedly "interesting" and "cool", though.  I loved
the look of Terry Blake's coil, and decided to add my
own twist".

All else being equal, I'd expect oil insulation would
make the secondary less susceptible to secondary
breakout, primary-secondary strikes, racing arcs, and
internal arcing.  This, in turn, might permit the use
of higher-than-average coupling, larger toploads
(which would otherwise tend to encourage secondary
breakout), and generally a bit more power, achieving a
higher-than-average streamer-to-secondary length
ratio.  But we'll see!!  Again, I doubt if it's a very
practical way to accomplish these things, but it is
nonetheless a fun twist.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/teslathon2003/tb_tc/tb_tc.htm