Re: Voltage division along NON-equal caps in series? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Voltage division along NON-equal caps in series? (fwd)

Even at DC, the voltage won't divide evenly across
unequal caps in series.  The small caps will reach
peak charge before the bigger caps.

There's an easy way to visualize this using a simple
rule:  "current is common in a series circuit".

Since all the caps in a series string will see exactly
the same current at the same time, it stands to reason
the smaller caps will "fill up" first.

Once the smallest cap is "full", it feels the highest
voltage, behaves like an open, and all current stops,
leaving the bigger caps only partially charged.

You are correct that Xc is a non-factor at DC.  The
reason is simple.  Xc=1/2pi(fC), where f=frequency.
Since DC is zero Hertz, and division by zero is
undefined, you can't calculate reactance.

Regardless--DC voltage will not divide equally across
unequal caps in series.

This doesn't mean you can't use unequal caps in your
tank circuit--you can.  You just have to be mindful
that the smaller caps will feel higher voltage.

Cheers,

Greg

http://tv.yahoo.com/