Re: Secondary internal arcing (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:43:20 -0700
From: seanick <edgarsbat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Secondary internal arcing (fwd)

I can say from personal experience that a sealed baffle works great to
prevent internal arcing. After an internal arc developed in my current
secondary, once not long after I first made it, I put in a 4" spaced baffle
in the approx. center, covered with plexi and fiberglass, and it hasnt had
any trouble (internally) since.

also, I can say that hot-gluing clear vinyl tube to the outside of the
secondary every foot or so does NOT prevent racing external arcs. take a
glance at this (from last saturday):
http://picasaweb.google.com/calumet45/TeslaCoilSeptember8th2007/photo#5108069972092515458

This is the one picture where I didn't have a breakout point on the topload.
Aaron said something about the secondary being a smaller diameter than the
minor diameter of the toroid might make it look like a better breakout
point. Makes sense to me, but maybe he was joking, I don't know....

anyway I promptly re-attached the breakout point (a drywall screw pushed
through the sticky side of a scrap of the metal tape) and resumed the
controlled arcing with no further trouble. check out the rest of the set
while you're at it. was a fun time, except for the rotor of my spark gap
catching fire from the epoxy repairs I put on it after a previous run....

heheh
-NICK

ps. anyone want to sell/machine a new rotor?
required specs in case anyone's interested:
1/2" thick G10,
9" dia,
4x3/8" electrode holes spaced every 90 degrees at approx. 4" from center
3/4" center hub
:)