Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:49:05 -0400
From: Marko Ruban <Marko@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

Yes, you're right, I meant to say 7nF, not pF (those damn units ;)

Initially, I built the cap to be 30nF, but then I would need a bigger
topload to balance it out.  So I took some plates out.  The capacitance
was measured with a home-built (calibrated) meter.  I'm waiting to get a
multi-meter now, then I can verify that value.  Capacitor construction is
sheets of 10mil copper foil separated with 10mil Mylar sheets, 1 inch
insulator margin on the sides.

So, as it is now, I should be able to see some sparks on the topload, IF
properly tuned?

I definitely intend to build a cooler spark gap later, but first I want
to get the coil running.