Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:17:24 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

Hi Marko,

Your inserting 0.007uF into Javatc so the frequency's do match as they
should at that capacitance. However, your "saying" 7pF and that is way
off from both Javatc and what the plate cap really is. Judging by your
plate cap configuration, it is about 0.7nF (not 7nF) if your using glass
as an insulator. If air is your insulator, then it's down to 0.1nF.

So you are way out of tune. The fix is the cap. For a plate cap using
glass with about 0.2" spacing, you would need a plate surface area of
900 square inches (30" x 30").

If your going to use a plate cap, you might want to consider Castor oil
which has a high dielectric of 5. About 15 plates (8" x 11") with a 0.2"
spacing between plates would yield near 7nF (which is 0.007uF). Plate
caps are fun to play with, but when you start building to a capacitance
such as this, it can get bulky and messy. I of course recommend an MMC
for performance.

Take care,
Bart