Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:07:04 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: troubleshooting tesla coil, continued (fwd)

Hi Marko,

I was thinking that "you might be thinking" you could increase
inductance to suit your "as is" cap size.

If for some silly reason you wanted to keep your cap "as is", you could
increase primary inductance (a lot). 22 turns would be required using
the same wire size and spacing of your existing primary. This would
yield the needed 77uH of inductance. But, the primary would have to
positioned with the top of the primary only 3" above the bottom of the
secondary with the remaining primary turns below the secondary in order
to keep coupling to a usable level (0.128). The primary from top to
bottom would be about 11", so the bottom would extend about 8" below the
secondary bottom turn.

Yes, all that is doable but a bad idea. You'll be well on the opposite
side of cap resonance, so there can't be any gap failures or your new
12/60 NST will be doomed. Also, be aware that with such a small cap
size, bps will be ridiculously high and each bang will be ridiculously
low energy. This situation is not good.

You are far better off with a cap size of 0.0185uF or in that range (for
NST protection and good spark lengths). But even this with your existing
coil isn't great because you would have only 2 turns of primary
inductance. The problem is the small topload.

If you throw on a 4" x 16" toroid with a 8" center disc placed center to
the toroid (using a 0.185uF cap), you can use your existing primary as
is without change (except slight tuning). That's the ticket for a good
43 inch sparks!

Here's what your coil could look like as a performer:
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/Marko.gif

Here's Javatc for this particular setup (btw, note the static gap
dimensions, it's important and air is required):
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/Marko.txt

Just a thought.
Bart