Re: secondary frequency problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:16:25 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: secondary frequency problem (fwd)

Hi Chris,

2.7MHz is closer to 3 than 2. If you build a coil that with a
fundamental frequency at 2.7MHz (calc), then you must have some means of
driving it with 2.7MHz if using a signal generator and scope setup. If
you can't get past 2MHz on your generator, how can you say that it
doesn't ring at 2.7MHz? This must be an really small coil. Do me a
favor, send me a Javatc output so I can see the details. Your probably
just reading lower harmonics at the moment.

A resonant transformer isn't a typical turns ratio transformer such as
an NST or other iron core transformer. This is a resonant transformer
where the output potential is a function of the resonant condition which
exist at the fundamental frequency. If you want to calc output, use the
capacitances or inductances as follows:

Vout = Vin x sqrt(Cpri/Csec)

Cpri is a nice fat capacitance and your actual tank cap is all that is
needed. Vin would be your cap voltage at the bang. Csec is a bit tricky.
What you want there is the capacitance at the moment in the cycle when
all the energy is stored in the capacitance. Javatc gives you this C
value and is termed "Cee" meaning "equivalent energy capacitance".

Typically, coil potentials range from 200kV to 500kV. Imagine if the
number of turns (pri and sec) were used. Say for example an average 1000
turn coil with 350kV output. This means the primary would have to have
350 turns! Can you imagine that? So, how do we get to 350kV with only
say 10 turns? The answer is resonance (or that point where the inductive
and capacitive reactances are minimum). At that point, we then get a
high current characteristic due to reduced overall impedance which in
turn provides the high output potential, so think of it as a function of
the coils reactances.

As far as the Q output? Way off for your coil I expect (and is why I
would really like to see your detail). Q is calc'd from the Fraga AC
resistance and it's this AC resistance which is probably off. The value
is usually good for coils greater than 3:1 h/d as stated in the help
output of Javatc. But, your coil I'm sure is small and there are no
actual Q measurements for a coil that small. If I were you, I would
ignore those two outputs and simply measure it yourself. Just click on
the Q text in front of the output box. I describe in the help file popup
how to measure Q. It is a difficult measurement as far as accuracy and
takes some practice. In my opinion, the greatest difficulty is equipment
resolution.

Take care,
Bart