Re: Colored HDPE (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:19:10 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Colored HDPE (fwd)

Hi Matt,

Colors have been talked about forever. The old argument of "carbon" used
for color. I believe there are probably some colored plastics that are
higher in conductivity than others, but I've not ran across it myself.
Even my 4" coil which is amazing is wound on black pvc and I've yet to
have a "form" issue.

Well, I did catch the darn coil on fire last week due to the bottom two
turns shorting. I've since unwound 5 turns, resanded the whole form and
it's waiting for me to hook up the coil spinning mechanism for a recoat.
That was due to too much power. I got carried away of course (200mA
supply running too long and a high coupling). Funny, even with the
flames the dumb thing was still throwing 5 foot sparks. I actually ran
it about 5 times after the first fire. Good sparks and a fire each time
although by the last run, the sparks shortened considerably (and the
flame grew considerably).

There was a discussion just before Terry left the list about
contaminants in forms. I think this proved out to be the more concerning
issue. Some of the contaminants are metals. I don't know how to tell the
difference other than measurement however. The same is true for any form
including sonotube. I think with any form, inner and outer prep work is
probably a good practice just in the event you stumble upon a lesser
quality form.

Take care,
Bart