RE: The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:08:19 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

It has been known for longer than any of us have been around that the
inductance of a solenoid is proportional to the number of turns,
squared.  As the wire length is proportional to the number of turns, it
follows that the inductance is also proportional to the wire length,
squared.  Is this the extent of the point that you were trying to make?
I see nothing new here and don't see the need to drag calculus and
Poynting vectors into this.

Gary Lau
MA, USA