Re: double wound secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:57:18 -0400
From: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: double wound secondary (fwd)

Scott,

A seat - of - the - pants explanation is that a double wound coil is not
really two separate inductors.

The inductance of a coil arises from the interaction of the magnetic
field with the wire.  If you have two separate coils whose fields do not
interact significantly with each other, then the inductance is, indeed
halved.

However, with a double wound coil, the same magnetic field is
interacting with both pieces of wire.  It's analogous to a coil having
the same inductance if wound with stranded wire vs. solid wire of the
same net gage.  The double windings are just like stranded wire with the
strands a little farther apart.

my $0.02

Dave