From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Sent: 16 April 2008 16:59
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] SMPS as voltage source for a tesla coil

In a message dated 4/16/08 11:27:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Thomas.Ryckmans@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,

I am sure this has been debated to death... but I can't  find it. Can
one
use a SMPS to drive a Tesla coil? I understand that SMPS  are high
frequency (>20 kHz) but what about rectifying this input? The  tank cap
would get charged to breakpoint, the spark gap will fire...etc. I  think
Greg is using this with a MOT setup (this give a 60 Hz pulse,  while
rectifying a SMPS would give a 20 kHz pulse).

I am asking this  because I find it difficult to source cheap NST in UK,
while SMPS are  easier to find

Cheers

Thomas

Hi Thomas,