Fwd: [TCML] Safety gap firing - (JAVATC Questions)

Thank you to those who repsonded to my post.? Regarding a couple of the suggestions and additional questions I received:

Bart - my spark gap = RQ style, 10 pipes - 1" diameter- 4" long, each gap 0.03" X 9 = 0.27.? My NST easily arcs accross all segments, might go longer, but I only built 9 gaps.

The safety is part of a Terry filter & is similar to yours (3?electrodes / center one grounded), the electrodes are small cabinet-type door knobs - relatively flat surface, but slightly curved (convex).? Right now, each gap is set at 0.15" for a total safety gap with of 0.3".? Maybe I've just been too conservative at 0.3"?

DC - I actually have a 21 turn primary.? It's tuned (painstakingly) to 14.25 turns.? JAVATC calculated tuning at 14.054, kind of close to what I arrived at.? My concern with your suggestion about the need for no safety gap is that, if there's an underlying problem, and I don't address that & just rely on MOVs, I'll just wear out?the MOVs? That said, I would be still be interested in your Terry filter plans.? Thank you for the offer.

Matt D - I relate to your comments?about trying "what ifs."? My coiling preference is decidedly to experiment, rather than just build a coil based on a precise cookie cutter set of plans.? That's why my primary has 21 turns for flexibility & my basement is full of various home-made toroids.?

I designed my coil - for better or worse - from ideas I got from many of your sites, reading electronics books, other sources - rather than a single set of plans.? I've been able to exceed the Freau factor and worked through a lot of problems along the way, but this safety gap thing is so far the only?one I've been stuck on.

Here's my game plan:
1. First, barrow a scope & verify my tuning with it.
2. Then, gradually open the gaps as Bart recommends, monitoring along the way.
3. If that doesn't work, threaten the @#$%! coil with a sledgehammer.

More to follow...Thanks, Dennis