Re: [TCML] Thyratron

Paul,

Long story short, Thyratron tubes have been tried without a lot of success. They are much happier switching DC than AC, and do not survive for long with large reverse currents. I think it was Richard Hull who built a small tabletop unit with a hydrogen thyratron, but is was in the one MOT power input range, not pole pig territory.

Thyratrons are like SCRs -- once triggered on, they stay on till the forward current drops to a specific level. In a spark gap system, you have bidirectional AC current passing through the gap, not something that fits well with the thyratron mode.

HTH,

Dave

Paul McGlen wrote:
Hi,
I am rebuilding my pole pig powered coil and was wondering has anybody had successfully used a Hydrogen thyratron in place of the rotary spark gap? And if so, what was the result and was there any problems? Regards
Paul McGlen