RE: [TCML] Interesting Coil Wrap

Jeff -

  Have you ever made, or actually seen a bipolar coil in operation that utilized a secondary with two segments wound in different directions?

  I think Ryan may have misinterpreted a simple bifilar winding technique (two parallel conductors) as winding each leg in different directions. Remember that "non-inductive" wire-wound resistors  can be made by using the Ayrton-Perry winding technique, which results in two windings, in different directions, on a single form. This winding technique more or less cancels the magnetic fields in each leg of the conductor.

  A bipolar Tesla coil secondary wound using the Ayrton-Perry technique would have very low inductance, and would not function as a resonant transformer.

  (I'm talking about a single secondary with the primary located at the electrical "center" of the coil. Some have confused this thread with a bipolar twin-secondary setup, with two physically separate secondary coils.)

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

Jeff Behary <electrotherapy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip) "or you can have two secondaries on the same form wound in different directions and grounded in the middle."
 (snip)