Re: [TCML] New 833C VTTC - poor performance

Hello again list,

After tweaking all day, I have achieved about 12 - 14 inch arcs and about 90V in from the variac before the plate starts to glow. It's getting closer to where it should be but not quite there yet.

The main problem I found was that the coupling was too tight, I think. Raising the secondary up .5" helped a bunch. Raising it up any more than that, the arcs got smaller and the plate would glow sooner. I tried a couple different MOTs for the plate and found one that worked slightly better than the rest. Other things I tried were changing the height of the topload, bigger topload, no topload, different break out spikes (including a .5" brass ball on a 4" piece of threaded rod, which was kind of cool, but didn't really help anything), rechecking primary tapping, and checking all the capacitors, resistors and diode with a meter to make sure everything was still working as it should.

"It would also be interesting to measure the grid voltage and drive current."

I'm still not sure how to do this. I tried hooking up my multimeter to the feedback coil. The voltage reading went nuts so I turned it off. Now it isn't working right. I think its fried, which sucks because I just bought it less than two weeks ago. Anyone have any suggestions on how to take these two measurements? It would help me out a lot to know how to do this correctly.

Thanks,
Kris