Re: [TCML] 1,000uF 250V pulse cap needed

Chris -

  Even though Tesla coils are merely "hobbies" for most of us, good design practice almost always pays off at some point or another. One of the fundamental objectives of good design is "Design for Servicability", where components (especially those with a higher potential for failure) are designed as FRUs (Field Replacable Units), or are at least configured so they can be relatively easily replaced.

  I think back on another MMC that was proudly shown to the TCML, where a huge number of C-D 942 axial capacitors were sandwiched between two large acrylic plates, with the leads passing through holes in the plates and everything (including the bleeder resistors) soldered on the outside. The builder was glad to have it finally completed, because it had taken him weeks and weeks to solder everything together. The only drawback was that to replace even one cap, the entire array would have to be completely disassembled (de-soldered), which was for all practical purposes completely impossible to do.

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

Chris Swinson <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Bert,

> Hi Chris,
>
> One thought - you may be able to find the shorted cap(s) by applying a
> source of moderate voltage at moderate/high current through the bank, such
> as the output from a 10A Variac powered through an inductive ballast to
> appropriately limit voltage and current. The cap that gets hot will be the
> defective one.
>
> Bert
> --

its not that easy :-(

http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IMPULSE/newcoilprog/

just look at the row of blue caps, then visualise they are all bascially
fixed inbetween 2 sheets of copper A4 sized... The only caps you can
actually see is 2 rows on the outermost edge. Sod's Law its not going to be
one of those.

Chris