Re: [TCML] Running two NSTs in parallel

Stephen -

  The only thing you need to do is to make sure that the output voltage of both transformers is "in phase". If the outputs are out of phase, they will essentially "cancel" each other.

  You might consider verifying the phasing before you make any other changes to the coil. Just connect the primary and secondary of the new NST in parallel with the  original NST, and fire the coil. You should get performance equal to or better than you obtained with a single NST. If you get very low or zero output, then the phasing is likely incorrect. Reverse the AC input wiring on one of the NSTs, and then both NSTs will be in-phase.

  Of course, this assumes that you have already verified that your new NST developes a healthy 6KV from each bushing.

  BTW, you're probably using MOVs (metal-oxide varistors) in your Terry filter instead of MOTs (microwave oven transformers).

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

"Stephen J. Hobley" <shobley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  We're going to try to connect an additional 12k/30mA NST (in parallel) for our next coil run. I'm going to make the following adjustments:

* Install dual gaps to cope better with heat
* Drop from 16 caps in series to 12 to provide the correct cap value for 60mA (teslamap) - this still keeps us at 24kV - which is about as low as I want to go.
* Retune the primary coil with the new cap value.

We have a Terry Filter connected across the single 12k/30mA NST at the moment - by my reckoning this should be OK, as you only need to increase the MOTs if the voltage increases.

We don't have a bigger toroid yet though :-(

Anything else we should be aware of?

Steve