Re: [TCML] Ultra-high speed movie of lightning arc channel formation

For high speed viewing of Tesla sparks I have used a rotating mirror forming a streak camera and have obtained 100ns per pixel vertically. This means that a TC running at 100kHz will spark every half cycle and at 5us will be 50 pixels apart on the camera. Terry Fritz also made up a unit with a better mirror but smaller camera. Here's mine with all home equipment.
http://tesladownunder.com/HVsparks.htm#High%20speed%20spark%20photography
Single events will need to be triggered with microsecond precision of a very small angle of the mirror but I haven't done that yet.
Peter

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Behary" <electrotherapy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Bert,
This is not so high-speed, but I did a few tests before as Lichtenberg Figures directly on photographic film or paper. For the coils, I used small glass fuses, the fastest-blowing at the smallest amperage I could find (at the local hardware store). The concept was pretty simple, simply turn on the coil and the fuse was instantly blown in a fraction of a second. (what fraction, unfortunately, I don't know). What is interesting, is the amount of sparks generated (and the branches, effluves, brush) in such a short amount of time. Granted, a 1/100th or 1/20th of a second may be considered a long time for this sort of exposure, compared to high speed cameras, but maybe not everything can be captured quite as easy with a camera as by direct contact. If only there was high-speed exposures possible directly on film. (Sounds like a new invention!) ................................
Jeff