Re: [TCML] Bert Hickman, Lichtenberg Figures and Shrunken Quarters...

Hi Jim, Jeff, and DC,

Thank you all for the kind words!

During our March Lichtenberg production run, we invited some physicists from FermiLab and the University of Wisconsin. Also, Dave Speck (from the TCML), team member and physicist Bill Hathaway from Maryland, and a few other HV enthusiasts to help. In previous runs, local coilers Steve Ward, Jeff Larson, and Terry Blake have also helped make figures and capture photos and videos of the process.

BTW, you would not believe how much fun it is to make these... :^)

Imagine a block of 12" x 12" x 1" plastic, containing a trapped layer of negative space charge that has an internal potential of ~2.2 million volts. Other than being a bit darker (solarization), it otherwise looks the same as before being irradiated. However, the charged block holds almost 1000 joules of energy and a huge swarm of electrons looking for any defect that would let them escape. The specimen behaves like a "plateless", high energy HV capacitor. A simple, carefully placed poke with a well-insulated center punch suddenly releases the trapped charges in a brilliant, multi-kiloampere discharge. Its all over within a few hundred nanoseconds. Paradoxically, the wave of internal fractures (that make up the Lichtenberg Figure) propagates at an average velocity that's over 800X the maximum speed predicted by classical (Griffith) fracture theory. Each specimen yields a very satisfying flash and bang, and each develops a different surprise within.

BTW, did I mention that making these is a lot of fun?  :^)

Jim, the machines at Fermi and Argonne primarily accelerate heavy particles (protons or anti-protons) to extremely high energies. We need high speed electrons, ideally between 3 - 10 MeV. At higher energies, the Plexiglas begins to become slightly/temporarily radioactive via neutron activation. The 150 kW Dynamitron facility we use can go between 1-5 million electron volts. It can deliver an e-beam current of up to 30 mA at 5 million volts. It provides excellent, repeatable results and is only about 400 miles away. We have on occasion used other pulsed e-beam facilities that went up to 15 MeV for experimental runs. You can read all the gory details about making Lichtenberg Figures here:
http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/Lichtenbergs.html

A video of some specimens being discharged can be found at the bottom of the March, 2008 Popular Science article on making Lichtenberg Figures:
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-02/trap-lightning-block

DC, I am planning on going to the Cheesehead Teslathon again - its always a blast! Thanks for hosting it!

Thanks again and best wishes,

Bert