Re: [TCML] Looking for feedback

Hi Steve,

Oh yea, the static gap is doing better. It appears to me the phasing is off and needs some adjustment. Looking at the SRSG, it seems the only means you have of doing this (quick and easy) is to rotate the disc on the motor shaft (unless key ways prevent that with your hub type). You could always rotate the motor itself or use a phase shift circuit.

The static gap sounded as though your using a variable inductor for voltage control and bps was similar to the SRSG, but it just seemed as though the voltage at conduction was lower. This again would coincide with phase adjustment. that would be my best guess.

BTW, how did the chicken wire underwear holdup ;-) ?

Take care,
Bart

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
We recently replaced a static spark gap in our coil with a synchronous rotary running at 120bps (30rpm * 4 bangs per turn). You can see a movie of the before and after here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylUg_eGk6I <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylUg_eGk6I> At the moment the rotary is not delivering the performance we expected. I believe this is due to a sync problem with the 60Hz supply.
Based on the movie I'd be interested to get constructive feedback from more experienced coilers...

Thanks,
Steve