[TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

Dear List
I have 30 x 47nF polypropylene metal foil caps, each rated at 2 kVDC which I intend to wire as three strings of 10 capacitors for approximately 14nF at 20kV DC. While normally each capacitor in an MMC would be protected by a 10- or more megohm high voltage resistor these have proved difficult to obtain (due to lack of demand?). In liu of this would it be possible to protect each cap with a miniature spark-gap -perhaps a pair of closely-positioned stiff wires connected to the capacitor leads notwithstanding the fact that 2 kV is usually regarded as a bit on the low side for satisfactory spark-gap operation

Jolyon Francis Vater-Cox