Re: [TCML] SRSG - Unstable firing

David,

HUGE KUDO'S on your 5000 fps avi! That is a fantastic video. We've discussed here for years how the firing actually occurs before alignment, and this video proves that.

As far as the wobble, yes, this will affect the voltages (slightly). This is best shown in your 240 fps non-firing video. But, there is always "some" amount of wobble (the smaller, the better). The wobble affects the gap width which affects the charging cycle to breakdown (but a deviation of 6kV is a pretty large and I don't think that is due to the wobble). Were you running the coil during this video?

Again, excellent video and something I will keep around!

Regards,
Bart

David Kronstein wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions in "Optimizing coil performance".

I was taking a look at the firing of my 240BPS SRSG, and I noticed some instability.
The firing voltage varies from maybe 21 to 27kV, apparently randomly.
I set up the high-speed camera to take some videos of the firing, one shot
taken at precisely 240fps to capture the electrode alignment (electrodes
"frozen" in position with short exposure), and another at 5,000fps to see
the actual firing. The primary coil was replaced by a salt water resistor
load for these tests.

The videos are posted on Youtube, and as AVIs if you want better quality.

240fps alignment test (not firing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNRVoXwfy8
http://www3.telus.net/tesla/big_tesla/RSG_240fps.avi

5000fps firing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkoeVmvRe_8
http://www3.telus.net/tesla/big_tesla/RSG_Firing_5000fps.avi

I notice that all the electrodes move together on the alignment video,
suggesting the disc is mounted off center. Would that cause the firing
instability seen? I know the design of this RSG is not optimal, with
1/8" tungsten rotating electrodes and copper block stationary electrodes.

Thanks,
David