Re: [TCML] Push Button Station

In a message dated 8/19/08 7:38:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ngoble@xxxxxxx writes:

>I recently acquired a Westinghouse push button station for  $10.  I

>think it could make a really cool on/off switch for my  coil.
>

>There's a plate on it that says:

>Type HD Push Button Station

>Style 9C1313

>600 Volts

>25998-A

>Made in USA by Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing  Company.

>  There's also a plate that says "T.D. Over 125V".

    That's interesting. My guess is it could have  something to do with the
rating of the bulb in the light?

>Under each button, there are 4 terminals.  Two for

>the resting position, 2 for the pressed position.

    The "resting position" is "Normally Closed", or  "NC" for short. The
"pressed position" is "Normally Open", or "NO".

>  There are also two long, hollow green tubes that say "S  1032921A, Z 825".
 I'm
>not quite sure what they are.

>From the looks, power resistors? Maybe they  ballast for the bulb in the
pilot light? Check the type of bulb in the light,  and measure the resistance of
the green things, and do the math for  125V?

>I want to hook this up to my transformer, so I can push the "on"  button

>and start it (maybe I'll have to use some sort of relay?).  Then  when I

>push the off button, I want the transformer to turn off.  It'd  also be

>nice if I could wire the light to turn on with the coil.

You're right about the relay, that's how these  things are normally designed.
You want a "3-wire control":

_http://ecmweb.com/training/electrical_basics/electric_ladder_logic_basics/_
(http://ecmweb.com/training/electrical_basics/electric_ladder_logic_basics/)

    With your pilot light either in parallel with the  relay coil, or in
parallel with your transformer primary if you use another  set of relay contacts
to get power to the transformer primary.

    Neat PB station, looks very cool but is probably  50 years old. Don't
worry, the old stuff is better than the new stuff and will  last forever!

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

deal here.