RE: [TCML] Kinraide Coil Reproduction - Near Completion. Near exhausted.

Phil,
First off, that sounds like a lot of fun.  A friend and I want to make a carbide cannon, only 4" in diameter...

I read that Bowling balls were made standard of hard rubber from 1906 to the 60s/70s.  Normally, you can tell hard rubber because its a blackish color that fades to dark dull brown over time.  Many people mistake it for bakelite - old telephone receivers, "Violet Ray" hand pieces, and other moulded items were normally this material.  If you rub it briskly with your hand, and then smell your hand - it should have a familiar "burnt rubber" smell...

I am guessing the least fancy ones of the past are probably hard rubber, just a typical black bowling ball...?   To confuse matters (or maybe not?), there are bowling balls manufactured under the tradename "ebonite".  I am guessing this is a name from the past, an old company, they might be of help in finding this material though....

The material hard rubber, vulcanite, ebonite, whatever you want to call it is a difficult one to find in general.  They sell it for friction rods, made in India still, for static experiments.  But finding a source that really has it (as opposed to advertising they have it and then calling them to find it backordered or out of stock) is difficult.  Its a neat material, similar to bakelite.  It polishes extremely glossy.  It also fractures easily, but has great electrical characteristics.  It was a material that most hobbiests couldn't afford at the turn of the century, it was then about what G10 is today (as far as desirability vs. "%^%(* that's expensive!")

In any case, 8" OD for coil forms would be astronomical in any material.  Bowling balls (of any kind) are looking pretty good!

Jeff