Re: [TCML] Secondary to toriod ?

Hi Stanley,

After reading my own description of what I did, I thought it best to just show some pics.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/toroid-support-1.jpg
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/toroid-support-2.jpg
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/07-04-2008%20002.JPG

BTW, for those thinking (OMG, metal screws attaching Plexiglas to sec form!). No corona, no arcing, no problems (and mechanically strong!).

Take care,
Bart

bartb wrote:
Hi Stanley,

I use a carriage bolt (6"L) on my 8.5" coil. I have a Plexiglas cap on top of secondary form. The underside of the bolt is gooped to help prevent any internal flash-overs. The secondary winding runs along the topside to the bolt (same as Jonathon's).

What I wanted to point out is that the bolt will need to mechanically support the weight of the toroid. In my case, I'm using a spun Al 9" x 30" toroid, so it's a bit on the heavy side. What I did was to drill a center hole for the carriage bolt in the middle of a 4.5" pvc cap and simply used the carriage bolt nut to secure it to the Plexiglas. The toroid is fitted with a similar pvc cap. When I install the toroid, I simply align the carriage bolt through the center hole in the toroid and let it slide down. The toroid and secondary caps find eachother. One slides into the other providing the mechanical support and the carriage bolt electrically connects the toroid (no strain on the carriage bolt itself).

Hope I described that well enough? Basically, the bottom surface of the pvc cap provides a large surface area with which the weight is distributed over the flat Plexiglas main top cap. Worked out great!

Take care,
Bart