To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] LED Strobe Sync Idea

There's a misconception out there that the gap should fire at the
peak of the incoming AC waveform but that's not correct.  Instead
the gap should fire when the cap has a full charge.  This usually
occurs about 90 degrees away from the peak of the incoming
AC waveform, but it can vary with the particular NST and cap
value.  The final adjustment has to be done by trial and error,
(unless a remote phase adjuster is used).
Some sort of ball-park pre-adjustment may be helpful.  Not only
does the adjustment need to be done while the coil is running
(or by trial and error), but it needs to be done at full power.
The correct setting for a low power, will be different than
the correct setting for high power (due to non-linear NST
characteristics I suppose).

In any case my phase shifter circuit makes it easy to adjust the
phase remotely while the coil is running.  It's a simple, easy-to-build
circuit.

I didn't look at your attachment, so maybe you're taking these issues
into account in some way with your design ideas.

John
________

After reading the recent threads about syncing a rotor gap I thought
that there must be a better way to do this than just trial and error.
The attached schematic I just made up and it seems to work, but your
mileage my vary.
CP8071