Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Caps

In a message dated 8/24/08 5:22:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>I don't believe that caps used in a Terry filter need to follow the  same
criteria for being "good" as
>caps used for a tank capacitor.

    Certainly the RMS current rating doesn't need  to be as high - unless you
are running the coil unattended for long periods of  time. If something goes
wrong where the Teryy Filter starts to conduct  continuously, weaker caps
might get hot quickly. But most of us turn off  the TC when the streamers suddenly
disappear...

>The current in Terry filter caps is limited by those big 1K  resistors, and
is very small compared with >what a tank cap  sees.

    Yes, true. In fact I had several arcs at my  safety gap last night with
my pig, but the sparks were comparatively thin  (like off a stun gun). I've got
my safety gap closer to the pig than the Terry  Filter resistors, unlike the
usual configuration. No problem with the safety  gap extinguishing.
    But consider that through those same resistors we  intentionally push a
few kVA of high voltage with only a small percentage  lost. The transients we
are trying to suppress might be of even higher  voltage. So no problem for them
to get back through those resistors, even if  they are 1K. In fact, if the
transients couldn't get through the resistors,  there would be no point in
having the Terry caps!

>Typical values for ESR and ESL in any kind
>of cap should present no problem in a Terry filter  application.

    Once the transients get through the resistors, we  want to shunt that
current to ground, That's where the low ESR and inductance  of the Terry caps
becomes important.
    That's why our MMC caps are commonly used in  "normal" electronics in
snubber duty. It's also well-known that for transient  suppression, keeping the
suppressor wiring low impedance is very  important.

> I have used ceramic doorknob caps, and even ceramic disc  caps, provided
they have a suitable
>voltage rating, are fine.

    Well, if they work for you, I guess they're "fine"  for you! But
everybody's setup is going to be different. Some people here have  done a *lot* of
coiling without ever using a filter, and have had little or no  problems that
they are aware of. Others have destroyed ancillary equipment the  first time
they've powered up their TC! I'm personally pretty rough on  equipment, so I try
to make up for my shortcomings with as much protection as I  can afford. And to
me the price difference between "ok" Terry Filter caps and  "pretty darn
good" ones is very cheap insurance. I'd also rather blow all of  those pretty
little caps to smithereens than have to replace my neighbor's PC,  for example.
    I'll certainly agree that almost *any* cap even  close in ratings will
work to *some* degree for Terry Filters. But using the  good stuff is cheap
insurance... isn't that what the Terry Filter is about in  the first place?

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

deal here.