To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Caps

In a message dated 8/24/08 11:39:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Adam,

Where was "Adam" in this part of the  discussion?

Did I get this right? Are you running a Terry Filter with a  pig?
Just curious about that. I personally don't use such a filter with a  pig

transformer. Only for NST's. Not that it hurts, but I'm not sure it's

necessary. NST's are voltage fragile. Transients are part of that.  The

filter helps some in that department.

Bart, I just sent this post out:

_http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Aug/msg00413.html_
(http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Aug/msg00413.html)

   I was surprised nobody commented at the time...  but it's in the
archives, so I know ya'll got it!

Regardless, in this discussion, people should remember the MOV's  across

each cap/resistor circuit within the Terry filter. As long as the cap  is

of adequate voltage and the MOV's are designed for the "transformer",

then there is plenty of protection across each individual RC section

(beyond the cap or resistor ratings). But with a good design, those  are

last resort.

Yeah, and the MOV's are slow to respond to transients at 1 MHz. But they
certainly are nice to have!
   Some distribution arrestors use "combined  technology" with a spark gap
in series with the MOV element, just to complicate things. I think the big one I've got sitting around is like that, since the last time I tried it across
my pig on an untuned coil, hot metal sparks actually shot  out of it and
rolled on the ground.... The two arrestors on my pig have done just fine at 15+kVA, even when the safety gap has been firing. I feel I've got that safety gap set pretty tight, but my arrestors are as tight on the MCOV specs as I dare go
(even tighter than the specs for the "usual NST" Terry  Filter).

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

deal here.