Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Caps

Hi Phil,

Yes, I thought Adam has sent the post (had two lines of "so and so wrote:" and for some reason thought it was Adam).

Anyway, wow, a Terry filter fitted for a pig!
http://members.aol.com/fiftyguy/TC_Pig_Terry_Filter.jpg

I especially like the horn gap approach and even the sphere's on the ears! It certainly doesn't hurt to provide a little transformer filtering.

Take care,
Bart

FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx wrote:
Yeah, and the MOV's are slow to respond to transients at 1 MHz. But they certainly are nice to have! Some distribution arrestors use "combined technology" with a spark gap in series with the MOV element, just to complicate things. I think the big one I've got sitting around is like that, since the last time I tried it across my pig on an untuned coil, hot metal sparks actually shot out of it and rolled on the ground.... The two arrestors on my pig have done just fine at 15+kVA, even when the safety gap has been firing. I feel I've got that safety gap set pretty tight, but my arrestors are as tight on the MCOV specs as I dare go (even tighter than the specs for the "usual NST" Terry Filter). -Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities