RE: [TCML] LED Strobe Sync Idea

John -
> I don't understand how Kinraide's rotary motor speed was changed by> swiveling the base. This sounds more to me like a mechanical phase > adjuster> for optimizing the phase for a synchronous motor rotary gap.

My sentence didn't read very well...
You are correct...
The speed of the motor was changed independently by varying the voltage applied to it (he used DC motors).  The swivel had nothing to do with speed or BPS.
The swivel base was used to optimize the phase adjustment with the supply [most of the time he did use kicking coils].  Rotating the base holding the contacts would effect where in time during the make/break the contacts opened and closed.

I am going to build some of these to try and make heads or tails of them.  Well, I'll build them, and I'll let you guys do the technical explanations as far as what really is happening with them....

Jeff