Re: [TCML] SRSG new video - feedback welcome

Hi Steve and Pete,

Here is a strobe for 1500 rpm (50Hz) and 1800 rpm (60Hz) that may come in handy to check the sync of the motor. It must remain steady and not rotate. Paste the strobe to the disc and use with a florescent light. No need to run the coil (just the motor). Just for giggles if nothing else.
http://www.classictesla.com/download/1500-1800.gif

Take care,
Bart

bartb wrote:
Hi Steve and Pete,

I'm inclined to agree with John F. The motor sounds as though it's not synchronous. The pulsing is a little faster than I'm accustomed to hearing, but your at 50Hz I think, so it would be a tad faster. The pulse is very steady and it doesn't sound like the gap is hunting. Hunting occurs in a synchronous gap when the motor torque is not quite enough to keep the disc rotating (due to the weight of the disc). But usually this type of pulsing is slower. This sounds like the gap is asynchronous and running maybe 1450 rpm. The reason is the pulsing and because I hear another much lower frequency in there as well as though the rotary is running through peak, across zero, back up to peak, etc.. over a slow period of time (like 6 cycles over the period of the video, thus 12 occurrences as the half cycles are what is heard). Are you sure this motor is synchronous? Is the an off the shelf sync motor or a home-brew type?

Regards,
Bart