[TCML] Power Factor Correction, current transformers and current waveform monitoring.

If you wanted to monitor the current input for your coil, you should read the following. I have answers to questions that I have seen asked in the past regarding Power Factor Correction and input current monitoring. I know this post is larger than most, but PFC and input current monitoring is a big thing.

Since current monitoring and PFC seem to be recurring themes, I figured I would put in my 2 cents and experience. I worked for a manufacturer of TV broadcast equipment for 28 years. I designed many analog and switching supplies. I needed an inexpensive way to monitor the current waveforms and needed to make accurate current measurements. I did not find any adequate commercially available solutions so I made my own.

It turns out that the best start for a current transformer was a standard small size step down power transformer. I simply took a small 6VA power transformer and removed the secondary winding. I needed something to measure up to about 20 amps. I took a piece of 12 Gauge wire and wound it through the secondary opening as many turns as would fit. A current transformer needs an appropriate load. For example, I have two 100:5 current transformers monitoring the AC input to my house driving 5A current meters with a 100A scale.

In my case, I wanted to view the current waveform on a scope. I loaded the secondary with a resistance that produced one Volt out for every one Amp through the primary. I can now connect the output to a scope and simply view current directly on the scope. One volt on the scope corresponds to one amp through the transformer.

This can be done very simply and cheaply for any desired input current and output voltage to measure.

I built mine into an electrical box with a line cord, power switch and duplex outlet with a BNC for measured signal output. This BNC can connect directly to an oscilloscope or multimeter measuring AC volts.

See the photos linked below to see my transformer and some current waveforms of a computer, standard fluorescent 2x40Watt fixture and a medium compact fluorescent light. The images consist of two waveforms together. The large one is the AC voltage measured at the device. The smaller one is the current. The numbers on the top of the screen is the scale for the voltage (50V/div). The number at the bottom is actually the Amps / division. Remember, the current transformer unit outputs one volt per amp.

http://www.theweyside.com/photos/Tesla/CT_Complete.jpg  Complete assembled unit

http://www.theweyside.com/photos/Tesla/CT_Open.jpg Opened unit showing transformer. The transformer would normally be covered with tape or shrink tubing depending on requirements.

http://www.theweyside.com/photos/Tesla/CT_Computer.jpg Computer / Monitor input current. This is the current waveform of most electronic equipment.

http://www.theweyside.com/photos/Tesla/CT_FlTubes.jpg Standard current from your regular 2 x 40 Watt fluorescent tube fixture that you would buy in Lowes or Home Depot for your work shop. Note that the current waveform is a bit ahead of the voltage

http://www.theweyside.com/photos/Tesla/CT_CF.jpg This is a nasty looking one. This is the current of a 26 Watt Compact Fluorescent light.

Using a current transformer like this can easily help someone determine the best capacitance for power factor correction. It can also be used as a simple way to display the current used by a coil. This can be connected to an appropriate panel meter to display the system current.

If enough are interested in this, I would gladly document the details to make your own current transformer, or I can provide a complete current transformer with an appropriate load for a moderate price to cover my costs in transformers and wire.

Contact me off list at skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you are interested in this information or transformers. If enough are interested in the construction details. I will make a later post with further details.

Skip Malley