To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Rectifying a Tesla coil

Hi Ben, all,

It's a good thought experiment, but definitely not that simple. Both  the
glasswork and achieving the degree of vacuum required are way out of reach of most experimenters. A hard enough vacuum for a hot cathode vacuum rectifier is very difficult to reach and requires much more than just a good mechanical
two stage rotary vane pump. Even the vacuum level  used in making neon and
fluorescent tubes is no where good enough for making electron vacuum tubes. And, while it might provide some rectifying action, it would likely produce some
low energy x-rays too.

That said, if your real goal is to learn something, then by all means go
ahead and try it. (Google "The Bell Jar" magazine for instructions on how to make your own high vacuum pumping systems) I'll even be glad to assist if I can.
Even if it doesn't work the first time, you'll learn a lot in the process
and you may come up with a better idea that will.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 8/31/2008 9:31:51 A.M. Central Daylight Time,