Re: [TCML] Rectifying a Tesla coil

Hi Kurt,
Very nice find, I have been after one of those tubes for years!
If you even want to part with it, drop me a line.

It is actually not a "true" rectifier in that it was used with an induction coil, which is pulsating DC, to block the inverse voltage on larger coils. Typically it was used with coils of 12" spark capability or larger as the inverse became significant and damaged the X ray tube.

They were of limited use before the vacuum level had to be adjusted.

The apple green glow you see in at the cathode in your operating pix is soft X rays being produced.

The geometry of the tube made a high resistance in one direction of current and a low resistance in the other. It still had a significant voltage drop when conducting and was for 5-10 ma currents!

It is not really a high frequency tube either, operating frequencies were around 2000-5000 Hz.

Again, nice pix!

I would not recommend you continue to use it on your TC tho as it will damage it, especially if you draw an arc from it.

Frank