Re: [TCML] Re: Smallest gauge magnet wire for Secondary?

Hey Connor...

I missed your previous posts, but was wondering what power you plan to use on your 12" coil?? Normally a 12" coil is powered by a pole piggie or something substantial. To get a ratio of approx. 5:1, with about 1300(18g) - 1000(16g) turns, the wire size would be more in the range of 18 - 16.

From what I have heard, space winding reduces the L ( inductance) of the coil and increases the frequency of the secondary and reduces the output potential...

Scot D

ConorPerry@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for the info, I found this:

"Premium Quality 11LB Spool, 20 AWG, Essex Enameled Copper MW-35C Magnet Wire, High Temp. 200 Degree C"
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_20&products_id=190

They describe this as "heavy build" but I can't find a chart showing the diameters for Essex wire. I did find it for MWS and they show a diameter of 0.0346.

So for an 11lb spool, estimated at 3459 feet, on a 12" form only gives me 1100 wraps on the secondary. 1100 wraps at 0.0346 gives a coil height of 38", then 38"/12" gives an aspect ratio of 3.17:1 which is very low.

Do I buy more than an 11lb spool and splice?
Do I go with a larger gauge just to get more height and better ratio?
What are the negatives of going with a smaller gauge and doing space wound?

CP8071