Re: [TCML] Transformer Wiring Question

Except for MOT's, DO NOT EVER connect any high voltage transformers in series, unless you ABSOLUTELY know that the voltage rating of the secondary winding is rated for double the voltage. If you have a transformer rated for 6000 volts and you put it in series with another 6000 volt transformer, you now have 12000 volts. That could be bad for the transformer.

For most MOT's, one side of the secondary is usually grounded, so connecting two IDENTICAL transformers with their primaries wired in parallel, but opposite phase gives you twice the voltage between the output leads of the two transformers.

For most *NST's, they ground the center tap of the secondaries, so these can NEVER be wired in series.

Skip