RE: [TCML] First TC firing

A plastic bottle cap with a dielectric puncture WOULD render the coil completely non-functional.

Does the spark gap fire?  If it does not fire, the possible causes are 1) dead OBIT, 2) wiring error, 3) shorted cap (dielectric puncture), 4) too-wide gap.

If the gap does fire, it's likely that the primary/secondary tuning is way off.  How do you know that you are correctly tuned?  One cannot simply wind a bunch of heavy wire for the primary, make a cap out of whatever bottles are available, wind a bunch more thinner wire for the secondary, put an arbitrary lump of metal on top for a top load, and expect the primary and secondary frequencies to match.

Gary Lau
MA, USA