Re: [TCML] voltage divider

The resistance may present a load that would vary the true potential.

Also, the potential prior to and during breakout are quite different.

There are two methods that do seem to work well.  One is Terry's plane
antenna that measures electric fields and current.  A calibration of
potential from a known calibrated source, perhaps 100 kV is placed on the HV
terminal with the ground end of the TC disconnected.  A careful measurement
of a reference point is made on a scope.  This represents your initial
calibration potential.

Then, the antenna is hooked up, the sec ground reconnected.  A large series
resistor is placed in the pri circuit before the cap, which allows the cap
to slowly charge and then discharge with a single pulse, usually approx once
every 10 sec.  As the cap fires the antenna picks up the pulse and allows
you to compare the potential from the single coil pulse with your DC
calibration potential.

If you don't have all this equipment, there is a much easier way to do it
--- with math.

Vsec = Vpri x 70% x SQR (Lsec/Lpri).  This is also very accurate and you
only need to measure the two inductances, and then carefully measure the
primary firing potential.  I have a chart for this and if you contact me
off-list I can email it to you.  I measured the exact firing potential
between two 1/2" dia. rod gap electrodes in the range of 5 kV thru 26 kV,
and present the measurement for the gap in mils (1/1,000th").  I found this
was usually within 2-3% of Terry's antenna measurements.

In pulse mode, the max potential of a resonant transformer is independant of
the waveform.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance