Re: [TCML] Electrical Engineering Textbook

I'm currently looking at "All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide", from
Wiley. ISBN 978-0-470-28961-7,
400+ pages, $34.99 at a retail shop (MicroElectronics).

Each chapter has a self-test at the end; answers in the back.

Here's a quick chapter rundown (I'll give everything in first chapter to
give you an idea what's in the rest)

1. DC Review and Self Test (Current Flow, Ohms Law, Resistors in series and
parallel, power, small currents, the Graph of Resistance, The Voltage Divider,
 Switches, Capacitors in DC Circuits, Summary.
2. The Diode
3. Intro to the Transistor includes jFETs
4. Transistor as a switch
5. AC Pre-Test and Review
6. AC in Electronics
7. Resonant Circuits
8. Transistor Amplifiers
9. Oscillators
10. The Transformer
11. Power Supply Circuits
12. Conclusion and final self-test

You can run various experiments on common components, use graph paper to
plot the charge/discharge of a capacitor, and so forth.

You really could do worse.

 In my Electrical Engineering class in college, our textbook was just  a
loose draft of the professor's to-become-a-textbook, riddled with errors, and
particularly errors in the questions he assigned. It was our job to get rid of
the bugs.

Of course, I miss the Heathkit series the most . . .

 -- David Small

In a message dated 12/20/2008 12:33:27 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,