Re: [TCML] Flat strip primary inductance

Finn Hammer wrote:
Now we know that in the case of 2 turn primary`s, this calculator is accurate (enough).
Certainly and verified by Kurt and myself on real coils. But something I've pressed since my own realization, is that as the primary is of very few turns or very small, the total inductance tends to a rather small uH value. In your case, your heading into less than 1uH. It doesn't take much lead length for the lead to become 50% or even double the primary inductance. This should be obvious, but it's something that always seems to be overlooked until someone points it out. It's just something to keep in your mind when measuring small coils. For the normal sizes, the lead inductance quickly becomes negligible.

BTW, if you ever do perform the Al foil test I mentioned (quick, easy, and fun). Later, cut slits in the foil (say near center outward) and try the test again (L won't change). Kind of an interesting measurement to make. I did this a few months back during some TSSP correspondence.

Take care,
Bart