Re: [TCML] Running a TC in snow

Hi,

One of the reasons for distilled water cleaning is so that when the water drys, it leaves nothing behind. High resistivity water that we use at Fermilab is deionized which is an on going process 24/7. It is the ions
that count in conductivity of water.

Jeff Larson"

Understand that, just reporting what appears to be common Edison practice. One of my friends was involved with a project to irradiate people with 60 MHz radiation in an attempt at tumor control. In order to make the antennas reasonable size they were immersed in water, as was the patient [in a rubber bag - guess they just floated in the top of the tank]. Purpose was to cut the wavelength due to the high dielectric constant of the water. The electrical part of the project went OK [never heard about whether the therapy worked] but in spite of extreme care and cleanliness of the tank and associated equipment the water had to be changed every few hours because the conductivity increased enough to cause excessive attenuation. I'm sure the same problem faces guys using water as a dielectric in HV capacitors for energy storage. Doesn't take many ions to run the conductivity up

Ed