RE: [TCML] RQ HV RF filters on PT HV

The ability to withstand voltage reversals reflects the losses in a cap's dielectric.  The ability to withstand the cap's charge being directly short-circuited reflects the ability of the cap's plates and electrical interconnects to survive huge current pulses.  While both features are desirable in caps, they are unrelated - one has no bearing on the other.

I think that Barium Titanate caps and ceramic caps in general can't hold a candle to the CD 942C series caps that we use, in terms of both current ratings and dielectric losses.  Barium Titanate caps survive in tank cap applications because many are typically used in parallel, reducing the current per each.

I use doorknob caps in my Terry filter, because the resistors reduce the current to a very low level.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA