[TCML] Tesla Coiling Without Sparks

Recently Ed Philips and I have been engaged in a Tesla coil related discussion, a small portion of which I would like to share with the list.

Am I correct in my understanding that your objectives are to demonstrate that there is a way to communicate energy from one point to another by means other than mutual capacitance, mutual inductance, or electromagnetic radiation?

That's not exactly what I have in mind. My objective is simply to demonstrate that a low power Tesla coil transmitter-receiver pair communicates some of its energy from the point of transmission to the point of reception by a means other than electromagnetic radiation.

I notice that you use the term "mutual capacitance" and I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. What you mean by "mutual inductance" seems clear enough. A single Tesla coil resonator has inductance or 'self-inductance' and two coils, like a Tesla coil primary and secondary, in fairly close proximity, couple together and thus have mutual inductance. In contrast, a single capacitor has capacitance, but two capacitors placed in more or less close proximity are not similarly coupled by an electric field. I think what you mean by mutual capacitance is simply "capacitance" so let's simplify things by dropping the word "mutual."

So, if the energy is not communicated entirely by means of electromagnetic radiation, that is to say, ordinary radio waves, how is it communicated? We all know that one part of the circuit between the two points referred to above is the portion of the earth lying between the ground terminals of the Tesla coil transmitter and the Tesla coil receiver, and that the electrical energy propagates between these two points by means of conduction.

What about the other half of the circuit? For a high-power Tesla coil system, the energy passes the same way as it does through the earth, by means of an electrical current flowing through a conductor, which in this case is ionized gas rather than soil and rock, etc. But what about a low-power system, such as the low-budget Tesla coil builder might be interested in experimenting with? Refined Tesla coil transmitters are known to be poor sources of radio waves and Maxwell's equations demand that for any type of launching structure, an elevated dipole, a grounded monopole, or a grounded top-loaded helical resonator plus a grounded receiving element, the electromagnetic field energy that appears out in the far-field zone must exist in the form of electromagnetic radiation. Because of this a robust connection between the elevated terminals of a Tesla coil transmitter and a Tesla coil receiver would appear to be quite impossible. Fortunately for us, and in spite of Maxwell's equations, such a robust connection is in fact possible, as has been repeatedly demonstrated over the last 110 years.

Here's a thought experiment. Construct an electrical circuit in your mind consisting of a high-frequency single-phase electrical generator, each terminal of which is connected by a wire to a vertical metal plate. Now position the two plates in close proximity to each other, forming an air capacitor, and set the generator in motion. At this point an alternating electrical current can be said to flow from one generator terminal to its respective metal plate, then across the intervening space between the two plates by means of a displacement current, and then back to the other generator terminal. This process repeats itself in the opposite direction during the next half of the electrical cycle and continues on and on as long as the generator is made to turn. During the first half of each cycle all of the e-field pointers point in essentially the same direction toward the opposite plate. During the second half of the cycle the pointers reverse and point in the opposite direction.

Now let's move one of the metal plates out to a position, say, three wavelengths or more away from the other plate, splice in a piece of wire, reconnect the distant plate to the generator, and set the generator back in motion. The question is this: can the electrical field between the two plates be described in exactly the same way as it was when the two plates were closer together or do Maxwell's equations require that it take the form of the e-field component of an ordinary radio wave?

I think you've intentionally eliminated direct conduction via the ionized upper atmosphere with earth return as proposed in Tesla's patents and writings because of the impossibility of demonstrating that on a small scale and instead are looking for some other phenomena which can be verified by reasonable performable experiments. Is that correct?

I'll answer with a qualified yes and no. First of all, we can by no means eliminate direct electrical conduction through the earth. This portion of the circuit is essential in any instance of the Tesla wireless system that might be examined. Second, Tesla has stated that in addition to conduction through ionized gas, electrical energy can also pass between two conductors through space by what he called "electrostatic induction." There is some equivalence between electrostatic induction and Maxwell's "displacement current." The phenomenon we are looking for is a 'displacement-like current' existing between two 'capacitor plates' that are spaced many wavelengths apart. It is apparent from an examination of Tesla's writings that he was using this 'displacement-like' current from the very beginning of his research into wireless energy transmission using Tesla coils.

. . . I'm trying to devise experiments which . . . would be definitive one way or another. . . . In principle if one could define the transmitting and equipment sufficiently accurately it would be possible to use conventional theory to predict the exact amount of energy being delivered and compare that to the amount actually measured by experiment.

Instead of depending solely on an abstract mathematical description of the Tesla coil transmitter, why not also measure its 'ordinary radio wave output' with a calibrated radio receiver? There is every indication that when you do this you will find the radio-wave output is so low as to be undetectable, or nearly so, only a few wavelengths away from the Tesla coil transmitter, no matter how hard you try. Of course, your Tesla coil transmitter must be highly refined. The next step is to set up a refined Tesla coil receiver, tune in the Tesla coil transmitter, and measure the received signal strength. If, under the same Tesla coil transmitter conditions, the strength of the signal indicated on the radio receiver is nil while the strength of the signal received via the Tesla coil receiver is somewhat more substantial, then the energy of latter received signal must have made its way from the Tesla coil transmitter to the Tesla coil receiver at least in part by some means other than ordinary radio waves. In the words of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Regards,
Gary