To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:37 PM
Subject: [TCML] My terry filter capacitors blew up!!

Hello all,

Recently I built an MMC for my medium sized 4.5 inch diameter Tesla coil,
and the total value for it is .0053uf at around 35,000 volts. This is resonant
for my Magnetek 15kv 30ma NST.

I had a Terry filter on the NST, (i bought the kit off ebay) and when I ran the coil, the capacitors on the Terry filter blew up and caught fire. I was wondering why this is, and also I need to know how I can replace the caps.

Do they need to be the exact same kind of capacitors? The  ones that blew
were .0033uf at 1600v each. There were 12 capacitors in series.

I was wondering if I could use these other caps I had which are 0.015uf each
at 1600v. I have around 20 of those.

Would the extra capacitance make a difference? How does the capacitance
affect the Filter and in general the whole Tesla Coil?

Sorry if I seem naive to this, but I'm only 14 years old.

I really appreciate this a lot!!!!

Thanks,
Amir M.

48)