RE: [TCML] Machining Question - Techniques for Cut-Off Sawing

Daniel

Chop saws work best on carbon steel. You can cut brass and alum better with
a carbide tooth blade. Most of you store bought chop saws do not have a
controlled feed , rigidity, water cooling or power to do a good job on non
ferrous material. You can cut alum with a "skill" saw, a worm drive works
better. In the shop where I worked we cut 4" thick 7075T6 alum with that
kind of saw. You have to cut from both sides with a smaller saw.  A chop
type saw will not give you a good cut for small parts , you should plan on a
machine clean up after you saw. If you are sawing for welding then it is
good enough.

The softer things and non ferrous metals will gum up a normal friction
cutting blade. I have cut all types and sizes of steels, alum , Ti , brass,
copper with one type or another of cutting device through the years.

Any specific questions?

Rich , from the middle of Missouri