Re: [TCML] Wireless Transmission Theory

Hi Ed,

FWIW, there are also physicists on the list who think it's off base. Most
just ignore the bait.

Matt D.

In a message dated 2/8/08 5:28:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
billb@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

On Fri,  8 Feb 2008, Ed Phillips wrote:

>     I've never found  anything useful in their various papers.

Their papers are about  physics, not about the engineering of theatrical-
type TCs meant to  generate impressive effects.  For theatrical coils, a
lumped analysis  tells everything a designer needs to know.

Why should we care about  upper-harmonic operation?  That's an engineer's
question.

The  concepts surrounding upper-harmonic operation are concealing the keys
to  understanding Tesla's "World System."   Here's a central  concept:
conductors are made of mobile electricity which sloshes back and  forth
during alternating currents.  A TC secondary is much like an  organ pipe
for electricity rather than for air.  Knowing this, it's  only a small step
to imagining that electrical energy can be broadcast via  Earth's surface,
since Earth is like a vast "aquarium" full of movable  charges of
electricity.

> Their
> insistence on the  use of the distributed-circuit approach to analysis
> and/or design of  TC's  has always seemed like a technicality which isn't
> worth the  trouble

For a physicist wanting to explain *all* aspects of TCs, the  lumped
analysis is not useful.  It's analogous to a semiconductor  physicist
knowing Ohm's law or transistor equations: you'll never get a  research
paper published about transistor equations!  There's no  "Unknown" to be
explored.  New science occurs at a way deeper level  than most engineers
ever go.  And most of the time, new science has no  practical purpose, so
an engineer would regard those who pursue "doing  science" as wasting time.

> since the difference between that  and lumped constant
> theory is swamped by thegenerally   unquantifiable effects of streamers
> once they form.

>From  the viewpoint of generalized Tesla coil physics, theatrical coils  and
streamer formation are a tiny niche subject.  But for the coiler  community
they're a major topic.

>  Somewhere in my  office at work I have a couple of their
> papers which were presented in  the early 1990's at a DARPA symposium on
> Ultra Wide Band Radar.   The papers have nothing to do with radar and I
> don't know why they  were presented but the general opinion of the
> audience was that they  were 'much ado about nothing'.

Perhaps I'm biased because back in the  late 1970s I had a breakthrough in
understanding how TC's work:  I was  able to visualize the secondary not as
a tank circuit but as a 1/4-wave  waveguide segment with pulses travelling
up and down it.  Years later  the Corum's started writing about the same
thing!  Yay!  Or  perhaps I'm biased because I'm a scientist-type with an
engineering day  job.

Feynman says something like "If you don't know two or three  different ways
to describe a pheonomenon, then you don't really understand  it."  That's a
Scientist viewpoint, since those two or three extra  ways are often totally
useless for any practical purpose.  But they're  what physics research is
all about, and if you find a new way of looking at  a well-known system,
scientists come running while engineers yawn and roll  their eyes.  (I say
this as a BSEE *and* as an amateur  physicist.  Scientists pursue things
that nobody understands, while  Engineers keep far from those same things.
The Unknown contains engineering  horror since it's unexpected appearance
leads to failed products and  confused planning... but it also leads to
scientific  progress.)

William J. Beaty           SCIENCE  HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com            http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science,  hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3138     unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird  sci

48)