Re: engineers and scientists was [TCML] Wireless Transmission Theory

Scott Stephens wrote:
Jim Lux wrote:
Obviously, it's not a Manichean thing with one or the other, more of a continuum, but a bimodal one.
Its interesting you invoke the term "Manichean", alluding to a (false) dual-dichotomy of mind vs. matter, and understanding vs. doing. The "Analytic-Synthetic Dichotomy" is a philosophical issue I suspect won't be settled until the nature of consciousness and free-will are better known.

.. NO.. I insist we thrash it out, right here, right now, for the betterment of civilization. (I just had a discussion with my wife and daughter about the difference between dialectics in general and dialectical materialism, in connection with some research into what the term bourgeoisie means, and whether being a member of same is inherently bad, or only bad in the context of oppressing the masses.

Chip's gonna kill the thread soon..<grin>

Every "living" thing must sense-decide-act, or ask and answer the three questions, "where am I, what should I do, how can I know". Many paramecium and bacteria are excellent scientists and engineers.
However.. Scientists are driven by wanting to understand. Engineers are driven by wanting to do. The classic scientist might do experiments to better understand, but the goal is the understanding, not the doing the experiments.
A scientist, Einstein for instance, doing a "thought experiment" is indeed doing an experiment. When I simulate a circuit, or even consider one, it is a matter of effort bringing about change. And I suspect we can be reasonably certain what goes on in our brains isn't so different than what we've taught our computers and graphic tools to help us do. So again I think this is a false-distinction; the scientist and engineer are about the same business of living with different tools and ends.

I think it's more  the motivation..
The "scientist" (recognizing that I'm speaking in terms of an artifical construct here) wants to understand, so comes up with an experiment that will further that understanding. Perhaps testing a hypothesis, perhaps just to create something for observation.

The "engineer" wants to create a tangible thing (or, at least, a model of a tangible thing), and to that end, needs either empirical data on what works and what doesn't, or some amount of theoretical knowledge to make a informed prediction of what will work and what doesn't. Certainly, modern engineering makes MUCH more use of the latter than the former, particularly as the underlying "science" is better understood (look at, for instance, the modeling of fractures and fatigue phenomena)

The engineer strives to do something, typically requiring some understanding, but there are lots of engineers who work totally empirically.
I suspect most of what the "Mythbusters" do could easily be calculated and are simply excuses to blow up and brake stuff.

The Mythbusters are entertainers, not engineers nor scientists. They're not even particularly cost effective special effects folks (if their goal was to create a specific look at a director's behest). However, they are good entertainers, and, at least, don't do too much violence to scientific and engineering principles.

I don't know that pyramid architects actually figured this out by analyzing the forces, or by just doing some empirical experiments.
I suspect the pyramids engineers were priests, that were either rewarded or executed by the Pharaohs for either doing well or ill. More likely, that practical engineering skill was developed for constructing forts and siege weapons.

Well.. that is a significant incentive to do the job right.

However, the builders of the pyramid did do a lot of things that are engineering like. For instance, the idea of having a primary length standard for the cubit carved on a rock at the job site, which foremen would use to calibrate their transfer standards for day to day use. They even had documentation artifacts to show that they had done their calibration of transfer standard to primary standard on the required schedule, with failure to keep to the standard punishable by death. (Fortunately, all we get now is some sort of non-conformance notice, which needs to be appropriately dispositioned.