Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:54 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] unknown tube...

The
actuall arc is normally in contact with the "glass" envelope ( normally made from quartz glass, halogen having the tungsten element within millimeters of the glass) and knowing that an arc can create excessive temperatures ( whe are talking plasma temps), the oils left behind from handling can in many cases compromise the general integrity of the envelope ( causes tiny hairline fractures in the glass surface which leads to an explosive failure). As far as contaminating the envelope of a vacuum tube device, you must ask the question of does it lend itself to the same heat levels as an arc lamp? Is an arc being formed and is it in close proximity to the envelope? With what I do know of vaccum tube devices, I would have to say that touching the outer envelope would not be detrimental to its life as it would be for say a laser style discharge lamp... Im old enough to remember the TV repair man coming to the house to replace tubes in the TV and he never cleaned the tubes he handled when he replaced them.... and they would glow red when the TV was on... damn Im old....someone would actually come to the house to fix the TV!!!