Re: [TCML] Tesla coil advice

Hi Ben,

Replying late on this (I had an emergency business trip which pulled me out of town).

The coil is pretty small and small coils are far more difficult to get to perform than larger coils (my experience). The Q is quite low which doesn't help, but there really isn't a good solution (wire size, coil size, turns, frequency). The 30cm spark length is likely not going to occur. The coil is just too small and those spark length numbers are based on empirical studies of coils about 4" and larger, so don't be surprised when the lengths are shorter. But as far as a small coil the design is fine. I expect optimum spark length will be about 16cm to a grounded target assuming the transformer power works out as hoped. Breakout should not be a problem.

Take care,
Bart

Ben Sneath wrote:
Hello again,

i've finally been able to move up to a bigger coil design
and would like some advice/tips on what i have planned. This new coil im working on is only 1 3/4 inch but is still bigger than the 1/4 - 1/2" coils i'm used to building. Thing is, EVERYTHING has to be home made because tc parts are kinda hard to come across where i am, this means the transformer, tank cap and toroid. Now, as for the transformer, i've disassembled 2 small power transformers (56v ct 2amp anyone know this one) and re-stacked the laminations to form 2 E cores and will wind a new 6kv 10ma secondry for this. core cross-sectional area - 1.56 sq inch, length of windable core - 3.75". for the tank cap i am going to make a flat plate cap from foil and PVC or PE and adjust the pressure to get to exactly 7n. and heres the detailed specs: